Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Some Nashvegas time then back to Paradise

So, I arrived in Tennessee on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, went from the airport to South Street, a restaurant/bar in Nashville, for a beer other than Belikin (did I really say that?), then on to Jonathan's Grille for drinks and dinner and a visit with Brian before he jetted off back to California.

It was a great stay in Tennessee, made so very easy and relaxing by Greg, who not only picked me up at the airport but allowed me to stay at his home and use his vehicle during my stay. I got all my errands taken care of and then Greg and I met Paula and her lovely daughter Livie at Drake's where the adults had a couple beers and Livie just was her usual adorable self.

Thursday  night many friends gathered in Cool Springs at the Cool Springs Brewery, it was so great to get to see everyone again, and continue to try and convince them to come to Belize for a visit.

Allie
Lindsay


Lindsay, Tony, Kelli, me, Sandra, Greg, Rob, Alex, Jan,  Natalie & Cindy

Jan

Natalie and Cindy -- Natalie just gets more beautiful as she grows up!

Greg, Rob and Alex
Many thanks to all who came, sorry I missed those of you who couldn't make it.

Had a quick cup of coffee with soon to be new dad Kevin Sage, great to catch up before he is inundated with new dad duties. And thanks Kev for the intro to Aaron, we're meeting for a drink on Thursday!

Thursday the 1st finally came and Greg finally got to get rid of me, although at a price, he had to get up at 3 a.m. to get me to the airport for a 6 a.m. flight. I don't think there are adequate words to express my appreciation for all he did for me during my stay in Tennessee. Thank you again friend, and please thank Rob and Hasty for letting me "move in" to the guys house.

So it was off to Belize again. Have I mentioned how much I love having TSA pre check? And that Global Entry thing for coming back to the states. Worth every penny. Uneventful, easy flights from Nashville to Houston to Belize City to Placencia.

And when I arrived I got to move in to my new place:


I'm in the downstairs unit, a one bedroom with a reasonably large living room (comparatively). It is just right for me and behind this building not far is the ocean -- which is perfect for me.

Within a couple of days I was able to go snorkeling out to the inner reef with a group of medical students from India currently doing a two year program in Belize City, here for a long weekend. Best way to describe it was interesting, they were lovely young people although some of them didn't really even know how to swim, putting on mask fins and snorkel and getting in the ocean was almost overwhelming although they all did great and were amazed at what they could see under the water. In fact a couple hope to come back and learn to dive! The snorkeling was not the best I've ever seen but it was a good way to introduce these kids to the ocean in a safe environment. And I got to get wet which made everything better.

New neighbors have moved in to the cabanas where I live, including a really interesting man from Texas who is a vet and a published author, and I'm meeting more new people which is good. Working on really seriously getting back to the writing after a period of self doubt. And dreaming of an upcoming dive trip to Utila.


6 comments:

  1. I like your new place. That rickety rowboat made me nervous! Is the bug situation any better over on this side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the biting bug situation is much better. I am using every remedy anyone came up with. I am taking B12 every morning, using baby oil after every shower, still using a non-deet bug stuff each day ... so far so good.

      Delete
  2. Love your new home Julie. It looks so tropical! So sorry to have missed you. I've had 3 surgeries since December, but I think I'm on the mend. I love reading your blog and can't wait to get down there some day. Love and miss ya...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, so sorry to have missed you and Jeff. I certainly hope that is the last of the surgeries and you now get to mend. Of course remember, a great place to rest and recuperate is the caribbean, you don't have to dive when you come here :-). I hope you are feeling better and can't wait to see you sometime soon. Love you too!

      Delete
  3. Hey Jules...My doc says take B1. I am allergic to Mosquitoes (yeah a life long battle) but I take B1 like religion and they leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, B1? Everyone here said B12 so thats what I"ve been taking, maybe B1 will do the trick even better! Funny thing is (well not so funny I guess from my point of view) .. how do you test it? Do I use B1 or whatever and not anything else and see if i get eaten alive? the problem is once eaten tough to get better. The tough life of living in the Caribbean.

      Delete