Monday, April 21, 2014

A Visit to the States

I arrived in Tennessee yesterday for my final stop on my whirlwind tour of the US before heading back to Belize.

I wondered as I was on the plane from Belize to the US if I would get here and be sad, wishing I hadn't moved or realizing how much I missed the US.

Truth? Nope, didn't happen. Yes I miss my friends here and wish I saw them more, and every once in a while I feel like I'd give my left arm for a really good green salad and I LOVED seeing my kids .... but overall, I really don't miss the hustle and bustle of life in the US. I don't watch TV anymore and I kind of like that. I don't drive anymore and have no need for a car (except those few occasions I wish I could drive to Belize City for dinner with Rob Harris and the Island Hoppers folks!!). I like my quiet existence on the little Peninsula of Placencia and the new friends I"ve made there. I really like waking up to the sounds of the ocean and the birds, and deciding which pair of shorts and t-shirt I should wear, and just walking everywhere.

And speaking of ... has anyone else noticed how cold it gets in the US? I stepped out of the airport in Sacramento and it was 60 some degrees and I was freezing!

So, I don't have Tennesse stories or pictures to share ..... yet, but I've had  such a great trip so far.

I started in Roseville, CA where I got to spend time with Cait and her best friend Gregg in their new home (new to them). Two real highlights (besides just hanging with my daughter), got to really spend some much needed time with one of my oldest friends (I mean she's been my friend for a very long time so stop giving me that look Elaine!).

And then there was this:

Cait, Gregg, Cheri and Me on our way to the game!
(Photo by Caitlin Jeffs)

A great place to see a game!!

Such a beautiful park, an absolutely great night in SF (it was about 60 degrees
which was perfect for Giants baseball), we played the Dodgers (BOOOOOOO)
and we won! (YAAAAYYYY)

I had arrived late Sunday night and the game was on Wednesday night. Early Thursday morning we got up to go to Virginia.

The rain that was forecast held off and it was a beautiful day for a wedding.
Such a beautiful couple and a wonderful ceremony.
(Photo by Caitlin Jeffs)


The gorgeous Bride and her handsome Marine husband.
 (Yes I'm biased)

This is Lindsey, my daughter in-law, she really was a stunning bride.
(she is basically stunning anyway)
Such a  beautiful dress too.

My beautiful daughter Cait next to her lovely sister in-law.
Yes, Lindsey is that tall and Cait is ..... petitte.
My sister Lisa made the wedding cake (this is about the 12th wedding she's made the cake for), it was just beautiful and delicious too!
Those are edible butterflies cascading down the side of the  cake.
White cake with chocolate-raspberry ganache filling and buttercream frosting. Yum!
When the Bride and Groom left they were sent off with sparklers instead of rice or bubbles or other stuff which was very cool!


Lindsey's family are lovely, her mom made the food for the wedding reception. Brendan is very lucky, looks like he not only scored with his lovely bride but with her family as well.

Oh, the proverbial icing ont he cake?  I got to spend time with this beautiful mommy,  this adorable little girl and her daddy.
Miss Nora Grace is the most well behaved baby ever.
Wish her big sister Em could have been there too.
I am so glad that this little family is such good friends to both my kids and their babies are really great photo subjects for Cait. And they were great traveling buddies too!

So I'm in Tennessee. Have a few bits of business I have to take care of while here, but mostly I'll be just visiting friends and taking it easy. I am so lucky, some of my friends have planned a get together for me to get to see a lot of them at once.We'll do that on Thursday, can't wait!

But, again, besides the friends I don't get to see or talk to regularly living in Belize, I am also looking forward to getting back there, away from the traffic, noise, crowds and general rush of life here. And when I go back I"ll be moving into the new place, hoping it is better for me than the last. My skin is just now starting to heal some from all the bites etc. So I"ll go back with a bit of a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment