Saturday, April 5, 2014

More Changes ... and a Visit .... Home?

It is a very weird thing to be planning a trip back to the U.S. and realize it is only for a short visit. I started to write someone a note and tripped over myself, was my arrival in the U.S. an arrival home or when I leave the U.S. on the first of May to return to Belize departing for home?

There are more changes for me as well.

The bugs won. At least the bugs on the side of the lagoon I'm presently living on. And I finally raised the white flag. So when I return from my U.S.visit I am moving back to the other side of the lagoon, where there is a bit more of an ocean breeze and less of whatever else it is that seems to attract the bugs. My poor body just could not heal, bites upon bites and never getting to just be, always covered in some kind of ointment, cream or poison. But I am feeling better that I am able to do something about it without giving up and returning to the U.S.

And other than that it has been a week of just living.

I currently have roommates, at least two but maybe more:
This one is on my living room wall.
Did you know that Gecko's make noise? They do. They are regular chatterers. I listen to them every night, chirping almost like birds. But I dont' complain because they eat bugs so I'm willing to share my house.

So as you likely remember, every month I have to go to Independence, pay my $50 BZD to get my passport stamped for an additional 30 day stay. The stamp I had expired on April 3. So on the 2nd I got up, got on the Hokey Pokey Water Taxi and headed to Independence. A cab ride to the immigration office to be told they didn't have a book and expected one to be delivered later in the day, that we should return the following day to get our stamps. I think what they really were missing was a receipt book, they need to write a receipt for the payment and then enter the receipt number in their log ... no receipt number, no stamp in your passport. I returned to Placencia for the day.

Thursday morning I got up and did it all over again but this time I got my stamp. I'm good til May 2. Of course I"m leaving here on the 13th to go to the states and returning to Belize on the 1st of May,which will allow me to stay until the 30th of May. Then I'll do it all again.

While waiting for the water taxi to leave for Independence there was this:

It is always nice to have a friend keeping an eye out at the front of your boat,
gotta watch for problems in the water.

Friday was spent doing what I usually do, not much of anything. I learned, however, that while I was heading to Independence to get my passport stamped there were manatees, righ toff the end of the dock at Paradise Resort. Really? Apparently it is manatee mating season so there is a chance that I might get to see some.

What I mostly have done lately is read. And read a lot. I think in the past three weeks I have read eight novels.

It is Saturday now, so I woke up and headed into town. After rowing across, on the road towards town I saw this:

Yep, that is a little fox.
I had heard that there were some little foxes living in the area, had seen a couple scooting behind some bushes but hadn't gotten any pictures. But this one started to trot away but then stopped and looked at me. I was a little surprised, it wasn't really running away. I was happy to get the picture but still surprised it was letting me. (I of course wanted to believe it just could get such a cool vibe from me it didn't feel it needed to run).

But then I realized probably why it was sticking around and watching me so carefully:

Those are little baby foxes.
No wonder the larger fox wasn't running. Protecting his/her young. Probably hoping to keep my attention away from the babies.

So I think I'll go see if I can find me some manatees or something else.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you can jump in and snorkel with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of thnking, wonder if it isn't a good idea to try and snrokel with mating manatees???

      Delete
  2. Oh Julie….
    Thanks for the minute break from reality! What a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie, so glad you're reading along. It is a great experience, I highly recommend it!

      Delete